Tuesday, August 2, 2011

It is a NAIL BITER OF A DAY........

How many times can one person check their email? How many times can I check my phone......it is a nail biter of a day! 


Job searching is hard enough, job searching when you are a 51 year old woman is even worse!

I do everything that I know to possibly do!
    ·         I have 24 different resumes as I tailor resumes to     each individual position

·         I utilize my college’s career services department to fine tune my resumes, cover letters and interview techniques

·         I call or email to touch-base when my resume is sent

·         I have practiced the interview questions over and over again

·         I have polished my ‘tell us about yourself’ statement until I am a memorable and interesting ‘interviewee’.

·         I send Thank you notes after the interview
What more can I do?

I don’t know…I did consider sending chocolate covered strawberries with my last personalized thank-you card, but, decided against that when a quick Google search revealed that to be inappropriate.

So instead I sit here and wait… I was as prepared as a job seeker has ever been…

I rocked the 1st interview, rocked the ‘screened’ interview with the HR director flown into town to screen the interviewees and when ‘rocked’, to send us onto the 3rd interview. That was where I was awesome too…but what it all comes down to is this: 'Does he want me to be his right hand person?' Was there enough of a connection that we ‘clicked’? I made him laugh, he gave me loads of compliments, but we did NOT click as much as I wanted.
Never mind that he would probably not click with Gandhi on the first meeting! It is not that he was hard to connect with; just that he is a polished, reserved business man. Maybe I have too much enthusiasm for him; I don’t know….I was my best self, that is all I could have done.

So I wait…….

If I get the rejection email or phone call, I do know this: A global company was impressed enough with my skills, talents and experiences to interview me along with 6-7 others out of 100-150 applicants.  This gives me a LOT of confidence to keep looking for a good, solid position. It gives me a lot of confidence that I have the skills, talents and experiences that good, solid companies are looking for. 

And it will give me time to come up with the answer to the questions: ‘Compare your last 2 supervisors’ (I did well at this question)  and   ‘Tell me a time when you took a risk’.


No comments:

Post a Comment