Thursday, August 4, 2011

Addictions…..and...emotional eating.....

As I was reading a post on Forbes Woman…..this made so much sense to me!

“The scientific community’sunderstanding of addiction has changed a lot in the last couple of decades.Where addiction used to be thought of as a substance abuse problem, researchersnow realize that it’s really a “bio-behavioral” phenomenon. They’ve discoveredthat not only can you get addicted to substances with no real addictiveproperties (like marijuana), but you can become addicted to plain oldbehaviors, like gambling, sex, exercising, and even eating…”
Yeah that is me….I have struggled and struggled…my problems with the Eat To Live plan are not because I am hungry, actually I am NEVER hungry…it is the emotional eating that I am addicted to and what I struggle with so much! I want to leave emotional eating behind….but…

I am fine until there is an issue with my life, if I get anxious, scared, sad or lonely I want to eat…not just nibble carrots, but have my comfort foods…I am not a cookie or ice cream binger, I want food like Famous Dave’s, Pizza Hut, Texas Roadhouse or the Imperial Buffett (Chinese) just around the corner from my house…

This addiction always satisfies, I always feel better emotionally….and just like all addictions, if I keep going on this way, I will suffer negative consequences….I won’t lose weight, I will increase my chances of diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a host of other health issues….
One if the hardest things in my life has been the feeling of being out of control with food. The Eat To Live plan has changed all of that….because of the plant based diet, I am not longer out of control on a daily basis, but just as I described above, when I start having issues, I start craving emotional comfort….

I have some overcoming emotional eating tapes….I want to listen to those….

But last night I threw caution to the wind and we went out for Chinese food and it was WONDERFUL……..

No comments:

Post a Comment